This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers: Monstrosity #6 Q&A with Livio Ramondelli

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Transformers: Monstrosity #6 Q&A with Livio Ramondelli

Postby Va'al » Wed May 08, 2013 1:36 pm

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
The official Transformers Facebook page has posted an interview with Autocracy, and now Monstrosity, artist Livio Ramondelli, to promote the release of issue 6 of the digital-first series, available today! Read the interview below, and find out how to get your copy.

TRANSFORMERS:MONSTROSITY #6 - the digital-first comic book from IDW Publishing and Hasbro is ready for download! In the early days of the Autobot/Decepticon war, a secretbelow the ruins of Cyberton may bring deliverence… but will it end theDinobots. Chris Metzen and Flint Dille write this mind-shattering sequel to last year’s hit TRANSFORMERS: AUTOCRACY, and now we sit down with superstar artist Livio Ramondeli to talk about this 8-page, 99¢ comic - available now at https://transformers.comixology.com/ or via the Comixology and iBooks apps on your computer or mobile device!

Q: Is the way you’re working on pages for MONSTROSITY changed at all from when you did AUTOCRACY last year?

LIVIO RAMONDELLI: It’s a sort of constant evolution, but I’m not doing anything intentionally different than AUTOCRACY. I’m just trying to make the art look better and better, as well as clearer. I’m always trying new little things here and there to really pop highlights on the characters, and make the images brighter in general. Even when dealing with dark shadows.

Q: It’s clear you sure like playing with light and colors on your pages. Was this something you taught yourself or something you learned at school?

LIVIO RAMONDELLI: Definitely both. I studied color in school, but I spend more time thinking about it now. I’m always looking for new ways to balance out the colors and play with light. It’s tricky with TRANSFORMERS because they’re so bright, and you’re always fighting pages looking like clashing colors. Sometimes it works better than others.

Q: How much leeway does the script give you — do you follow what’s on the script page, or do what you feel is best to make it work?

LIVIO RAMONDELLI: The scripts always call for specific shots, but the page layouts (and the size of the panels) is my call. Also Chris and Flint are great at letting me change things when I feel like something might work better. I’m always looking to make each shot important, and so I’ll sometimes cut out panels that I feel we can cover in a line of dialogue and that gives us the space for more money shots. For example, in MONSTROSITY #5 we initially saw a couple panels of Scorponok and Blitzwing about to blast the door open to the refinery. But I suggested that we just show the door exploding, which gave us a cool reveal, more space, and didn’t cost us anything since your mind fills in what came before.

Q: In this issue, we hear about a sixth member of the Dynobots team — Skar. Was it a surprise to see this new character appear and how much did you enjoy the process of designing this previously unseen team member?

LIVIO RAMONDELLI: It was tricky, because you’re adding something to a classic group of characters and trying to make it feel natural, which is always hard. At first I actually designed Skar to look closer to Swoop (since Swoop tends to stand out differently from the other Dinobots, and it made sense to me that another would look like him). But it was Chris’s desire to really see Skar as Grimlock’s close friend as well as resemble him a bit physically. Like he could have been as strong as Grimlock, and tragically didn’t make it. So he ended up being a bit of a cross between Grimlock and Swoop — his head has some Swoop elements to it. I wasn’t surprised by the reveal as I knew from the beginning of the story Skar would appear. It was just a question of hopefully making it natural.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Fan Book 2020 with OPTIMUS PRIME + MEGATRON Legion Figures Takara"
Transformers Fan B ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "RATCHET Transformers Studio Series 82 Deluxe Bumblebee Hasbro 2022 New"
RATCHET Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Power Attackers POWER PUNCH BUMBLEBEE Transformers Age of Extinction AOE Movie"
Power Attackers PO ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "NITRO BUMBLEBEE Transformers Dark of the Moon Deluxe complete DOTM 2011 230427A"
NITRO BUMBLEBEE Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers Robots In Disguise 2015 Hyper Change 3-Step 220512A"
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME COMMANDER-BOT Transformers Rescue Bots 2011 Playskool 191206a"
OPTIMUS PRIME COMM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Classic Heroes Team Rescue Bots Hasbro 2022 New"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Energize OPTIMUS PRIME COMMANDER-BOT Transformers Rescue Bots 2012 Playskool"
Energize OPTIMUS P ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Happy Meal OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Animated McDonald's Hasbro 2008 211103A"
Happy Meal OPTIMUS ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BASH ATTACK OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Cyberverse Adventures Ultra 2019 New"
BASH ATTACK OPTIMU ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ARCEE Transformers Bumblebee Plastic Model Kit 73 pcs Trumpeter 2022 New"
ARCEE Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Feature Bot OPTIMUS PRIME action figure Transformers Rescue Bots Playskool 2015"
Feature Bot OPTIMU ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "RAVAGE Transformers Studio Series Core Class Bumblebee Hasbro 2022 New"
RAVAGE Transformer ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CLIFFJUMPER Transformers Bumblebee Plastic Model Kit 69 pcs Trumpeter 2022 New"
CLIFFJUMPER Transf ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #350 - Oops! All Optimus
Twincast / Podcast #350:
"Oops! All Optimus"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, May 18th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Optimal Optimus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Fangry Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Decepticon Rumble(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Series PK Bruticus Action Figure	B3899" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Sunstreaker Figure" on AMAZON