This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Publishing to provide digital copies of print comics purchased

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

IDW Publishing to provide digital copies of print comics purchased

Postby First Gen » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:09 pm

Motto: "Til All Are One."
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon

Looks like comic fanatics with iPhones will be able to get double goodness with every comic purchase made at your local comic shops coming this fall. According to Seibertron.com tipster Kuhlio, IDW Publishing will be working with Diamond Distributors so that purchases of hard stock comic books will be able to receive a digital copy of the book at no charge. Here's the email from IDW Publishing's Digital Team to Kuhlio in response to his question regarding digital copies:

IDW will be participating with Diamond Distributors to include digital copies with print books at comic shop retailers this fall. Watch for news, or ask at your local comic shop.

Best regards,
The IDW Digital Team

This is great news for collectors that like to keep their comics minty fresh in sealed sleeves and for fans who like to read books over again who won't have to carry them around with.

For the latest news in the Transformers Universe, keep your optics locked on Seibertron.com, your Ultimate Transformers Resource!
newsig by sserrano03, on Flickr

http://forallmankind.wordpress.com/

Follow me on Twitter, unlike most, I'm interesting :)

Http://twitter.com/stevenrocks5937
First Gen
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1014
Watch First Gen on YouTube
Buy from First Gen on eBay
Alt Mode: A Truck
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Re: IDW Publishing to provide digital copies of print comics purchased

Postby Burn » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:16 pm

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
Comic companies are just not getting it when it comes to digital media. :-(
Burn
Forum Admin
News Credits: 226

Postby Supreme Convoy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:19 pm

Burn wrote:Comic companies are just not getting it when it comes to digital media. :-(

How so?
Supreme Convoy
Gestalt
News Credits: 34

Postby all_the_primes » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:34 pm

Motto: "Thirteen Primes to rule them all. One Prime to find them. Thirteen Primes to bring them all and in the Autobots Matrix of Leadership to bind them."
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
Supreme Convoy wrote:
Burn wrote:Comic companies are just not getting it when it comes to digital media. :-(

How so?

think he means bad quality??? that's my guess. i mean, looks at that quality!
all_the_primes
Minibot
Strength: 10
Speed: 10
Endurance: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Postby korisifu » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:47 pm

Motto: "Wreck-n-Rule!!"
Weapon: Double Slagmaker Laser
Wish this worked backwards. I have them all on my phone and it's the main reason I could justify buying an iPad, even though buying everyone of them bound in hardcover is still less than half price. Nice touch though as I will end up buying the physical copies of them too.
korisifu
Minibot
Watch korisifu on YouTube
Strength: N/A
Intelligence: N/A
Speed: N/A
Endurance: N/A
Courage: N/A
Firepower: N/A
Skill: N/A

Postby Burn » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:08 pm

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
Supreme Convoy wrote:

How so?

For starters, unless FG got it wrong (which I doubt), this is an app that will be for iPhones only. If comic companies are going to go digital then they need to develop their apps for more than just iPhones.

Secondly, previous attempts at digital have resulted in copies that are far superior for those of us with large monitors.

Thirdly, digital copies seem to be priced at the same price as printed comics. Why? All they really need to do is just give 'em a good scan.

There's already a format out there and a program to go with it that provides high quality digital copies of comics, unfortunately it's not particulary legal but the comic companies could learn a thing or two from it.

Honestly, if the comic industry wants to survive in this technical age they need to start letting go of the past. I know there's going to be purists out there, but they're not going to keep the companies afloat.
Burn
Forum Admin

Postby RogueDeathangel » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:21 pm

Burn wrote:
Supreme Convoy wrote:

How so?

For starters, unless FG got it wrong (which I doubt), this is an app that will be for iPhones only. If comic companies are going to go digital then they need to develop their apps for more than just iPhones.

Um, at no point is it stated which app this will be for. Nor is it stated which platform the app will be on. If it's for any of the existing apps that IDW currently publish on then it would NOT be iPhone exclusive. If it's on a new app that IDW would be developing then it would make sense for them not to go iPhone exclusive.

I really don't understand where you got this idea that they would be only on iPhone from.
RogueDeathangel
Minibot
News Credits: 4

Postby Supreme Convoy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:35 pm

Burn wrote:For starters, unless FG got it wrong (which I doubt), this is an app that will be for iPhones only. If comic companies are going to go digital then they need to develop their apps for more than just iPhones.

Secondly, previous attempts at digital have resulted in copies that are far superior for those of us with large monitors.

Thirdly, digital copies seem to be priced at the same price as printed comics. Why? All they really need to do is just give 'em a good scan.

There's already a format out there and a program to go with it that provides high quality digital copies of comics, unfortunately it's not particular legal but the comic companies could learn a thing or two from it.

Honestly, if the comic industry wants to survive in this technical age they need to start letting go of the past. I know there's going to be purists out there, but they're not going to keep the companies afloat.

If anything, I don't think digital comics is aimed at the hardcore comic audience. I personally view them as a great option for those who don't regularly read comics and/or don't have a comic shop around them. Having a print comic come with a digital version is a great bonus for readers who want to travel light with their comics.

I think the DC relaunch/digital initiative is the step in the right direction. However, I agree about the pricing. I think the pricing is unfair compared to eBooks. At least DC is selling books for a lower price a month after it is published.

In fact, readers really don't own digital comics on their devices. Here's a great article on that subject. In this case, what happens when IDW no longer has the Transformers license? Do all those digital comics cease to exist on everyone's devices. Time will tell.
Supreme Convoy
Gestalt

Postby Burn » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:50 pm

Supreme Convoy wrote:In fact, readers really don't own digital comics on their devices.

If that is the case (I can't be sure because you only linked to an Armageddon poster :P ) then that's even more crap.

If you pay for a printed comic. It's yours. If I pay for an eletronic version, then I should be allowed to tranfser it amongst my devices as I see fit. This is where media need to develop a system whereby users can pay and download what they want, and not have said media dangling a sword over their heads ready to take their downloads back when they see fit.
Burn
Forum Admin

Postby Supreme Convoy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:06 am

Burn wrote:
Supreme Convoy wrote:In fact, readers really don't own digital comics on their devices.

If that is the case (I can't be sure because you only linked to an Armageddon poster :P ) then that's even more crap.

The link is fixed!

I was making fun of Southern California's Carmageddon while typing here.
Supreme Convoy
Gestalt

Postby Burn » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:18 am

RogueDeathangel wrote:Um, at no point is it stated which app this will be for. Nor is it stated which platform the app will be on. If it's for any of the existing apps that IDW currently publish on then it would NOT be iPhone exclusive. If it's on a new app that IDW would be developing then it would make sense for them not to go iPhone exclusive.

I really don't understand where you got this idea that they would be only on iPhone from.

Perhaps from the initial news post by FG?

First Gen wrote:Looks like comic fanatics with iPhones will be able to get double goodness with every comic purchase made at your local comic shops coming this fall.

Which is why I even said...

Burn wrote:For starters, unless FG got it wrong (which I doubt)

FG's normally on the ball with his news.

But another point to raise is that each company seem to be developing their own readers. I don't want to have to install half a dozen different programs for my comics, I want one program that can cover them. And as I said, there is one, it's just not legal.
Burn
Forum Admin

Postby Megatron Wolf » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:19 am

Motto: "Cry havoc and let slip the Wolves of War, Vae Victus!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
cool idea but unless it works with the PSP as well it does me no good
Current TF count: 2042

Megatron Wolf
Faction Commander
News Credits: 8
Strength: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+

Postby First Gen » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:32 am

Motto: "Til All Are One."
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon
Just for clarification, Kuhlio inquired about the iPhone app only. No info was given regarding the iPad so I didn't want to speculate on it even though it seems most likely to occur. I just hope Android and Windows gets some love too.
newsig by sserrano03, on Flickr

http://forallmankind.wordpress.com/

Follow me on Twitter, unlike most, I'm interesting :)

Http://twitter.com/stevenrocks5937
First Gen
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1014
Watch First Gen on YouTube
Buy from First Gen on eBay
Alt Mode: A Truck
Strength: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8

Postby NemesisMonkeySupreme » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:45 pm

Motto: "Peace through tyranny… or obliteration. Whichever is quicker."
Weapon: High Energy MASER Cannons
I would like to see the same option available for collected books (like the forthcoming AHM hardcover).
I'm more of a collection reader than a month-to-monther…
:CON: To unleash the Warrior within, tame the Beast without. :CON:
NemesisMonkeySupreme
Vehicon
News Credits: 2
Strength: 10+
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 6

Postby mikeyfuzz » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:12 am

Oh I am so down with this, I just got an iPod Touch last week, and it would be awesome to take my comics with me.
mikeyfuzz
Mini-Con

Postby Marcdachamp » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:30 pm

Fantastic idea. Not something I would really use, but I'm definitely a fan.
Marcdachamp
Transmetal Warrior
News Credits: 1

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Saturday Morning Adv #3 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 FEB220413 3B (CA) Murphy"
GI JOE Saturday Mo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #1 Cvr F 1:100 Image Comics 2023 1F GI JOE 1023IM264 (CA) Jonboy 231222D"
DUKE #1 Cvr F 1:10 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE #9 Cvr B IDW Comics 2020 MAR200813 9B (CA) Williams (A) Kelly (W) Allor"
GI JOE #9 Cvr B ID ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #2 2nd ptg Image Comics 2023 JUN238041 (CA) Howard (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #2 2nd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr F Walking Dead 20th Image Comics 0823IM481 5F Hughes 240330"
NEW!
VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 2nd ptg Cvr D Doubt Image Comics 2023 1123IM811 (CA) Howard"
VOID RIVALS #5 2nd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #4 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 0723IM407 4B (CA) Diberkato (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #4 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr E 1:50 Image Comics 0923IM468 6E (CA) Infante (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #5 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 2024 5C GI JOE 0224IM264 (CA) Boss + Wordie"
NEW!
DUKE #5 Cvr C 1:10 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #305 Cvr B Image Comics 2024 0124IM259 305B (CA)Kubert"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #303 Cvr B Image Comics 2024 1123IM282 303B (CA)Kubert"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #282 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 FEB210449 282B Williams II"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #1 Cvr A Image Comics 2023 APR230038 1A (CA) De Felici (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #300 Cvr D IDW Comics 2022 SEP221682 300D (CA) McKeown"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #350 - Oops! All Optimus
Twincast / Podcast #350:
"Oops! All Optimus"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, May 18th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Misfire and Aimless" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 12 Voyager Class Movie 1 Decepticon Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Autobot Sovereign and Alpha Trion" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Mega 1-Step Turbo Changer Dragonstorm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Roadburn" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers B1798AS0 Warpath Figure Combiner Wars" on AMAZON