This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers: Recession Proof?

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

Transformers: Recession Proof?

Postby Delicon » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:07 pm

Motto: "Seibertron.com: Other sites lack the meat!"
Weapon: Battle Blades
With the recession now approaching the 2 year mark, it's hard to find many companies, products, services and fields that haven't been negatively affected in some form. However, there are always going to be a few things that not only survive in a poor economy but actually find a way to thrive.

Yahoo! Finance recently compiled their top 10 list of products that boomed during the recession and our beloved Transformers actually made that list. Here is an excerpt.

Transformers. Good and evil are still doing battle, which makes toy maker Hasbro a winner. The company's Transformers action figures have morphed into a franchise that includes two movies, a TV series, video games, comic books, and a wide range of spinoff toys that seem to be recessionproof. A sharp boost in entertainment licensing revenue from Transformers and a related stalwart, G.I. Joe, have helped offset reductions in other parts of Hasbro's earnings statement. Expect the bots to keep battling.

Other items included tupperware, private label salad dressing and universal remotes. Yes, seriously.

To view the entire article please click here.

Seibertron.com - Providing the best Transformers coverage in good times and bad!
Proud Seibertronian since 2008
Delicon
Gestalt
News Credits: 273
Buy from Delicon on eBay
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 2
Skill: 9

Re: Transformers: Recession Proof?

Postby Zeds » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:17 pm

Motto: "I once lost a battle. So long ago I can barely remember it."
Weapon: Thermal Melters
This has been discussed before but TFs also make a better investment than giving your money to a broker and having him piss it away on his fees even before he has done anything and then the losses via the white collar crime we have recently seen.
BWOP: "Die-cast construction...It's a lost art!"

Longs for the days of G1 where we only had to worry about Megatron, Soundwave and Laserbeak wanting to be Autobots, Swoop calling himself Tracks and Slingshot calling himself Slingslot!
Zeds
Gestalt
News Credits: 9
Buy from Zeds on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Ravage Eject » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:53 pm

I tend to think that transformers do well in these times due to the pure escapist nature of the product. When people are down they always look for fun ways to get their minds off of the real world. Also, for me personally, having the deluxe figs go back down to $10 at wal-mart was a big factor. I would rather buy 3 deluxe figs for $30 then two for $26....call me craxy but the lower prices encourages me to buy more...go figure.
Ravage Eject
Mini-Con

Postby It Is Him » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:43 pm

There's a Transformers universal remote? WHAT THE HECK! Why don't I own it already?
Come join us at THE PUPPY THREAD

BeastProwl wrote:What the **** is wrong with you?
It Is Him
City Commander
News Credits: 16

Postby Hard Hacker » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:46 pm

4 movies Yahoo:

The Transformers: The Movie.
Some OVA I honestly couldn't care about (and I won't pretend to).
And then the other two.

Not just A T.V series either. There've been lots.

But most of everything else is correct, and pretty interesting.
Hard Hacker
Headmaster Jr

Postby It Is Him » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:01 pm

OK, I read the article. I feel better knowing there aren't specific Transformers universal remotes (especially since I just bought one).
Come join us at THE PUPPY THREAD

BeastProwl wrote:What the **** is wrong with you?
It Is Him
City Commander
News Credits: 16

Postby Solrac333 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:22 pm

Ravage Eject wrote:I would rather buy 3 deluxe figs for $30 then two for $26....call me craxy but the lower prices encourages me to buy more...go figure.

Amen. Hell! I would rather buy 4 for $28 than 1 for $13. Ah those nice $7.77 rollbacks...
Bah weep granah weep nini bon!
Solrac333
Gestalt
News Credits: 1
Watch Solrac333 on YouTube
Buy from Solrac333 on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10+

Postby Mythos » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:40 pm

Motto: "Knowledge is Power...Cannon!"
Weapon: Static Laser Gun
I can believe it. Gencon, the big gaming convention in Indianapolis, also posted record numbers. I work as a freelancer for several companies and when I spoke with several vendors and developers there they all said pretty much the same thing*:

The economy sucks and people are being more careful with their money; that being said, people who really love something and want to relax are probably going to save up for the one thing that will make them happy.

A lot of people love Transformers, so it makes sense that if they had to choose what movie they were going to see over the summer they would choose ROTF.

*K, not all of them said the exact same thing, but my statement is a generalization. :P
Mythos
Mini-Con
Strength: 4
Speed: 7
Endurance: 5
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 10

Postby nemesis-prime » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:09 pm

Zeds wrote:This has been discussed before but TFs also make a better investment than giving your money to a broker and having him piss it away on his fees even before he has done anything and then the losses via the white collar crime we have recently seen.

Yep ive made more money selling 2007 figs then on my 401K at work. :lol:
nemesis-prime
Gestalt Team Leader
News Credits: 12

Postby Megatron Wolf » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:21 am

Motto: "Cry havoc and let slip the Wolves of War, Vae Victus!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
Well with the movie basically selling the figures and every store having TFs on sale every other week its not really that surprising that TF did so well. If there was no movie just a show and no sales i bet TF wouldnt be on that list. Who in their right mind is going to pass up 2 deluxes for $20 or a voyager for $14? Well at least we know transformers isnt going anywhere for a while. Its one of hasbros main cash cows now.
Current TF count: 2042

Megatron Wolf
Faction Commander
News Credits: 8
Strength: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Postby Bloodlust » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:08 am

Motto: "Motrin and water cures everything"
Weapon: Energo-Sword
Who knew that the salad dressing industry wouldn't be hard hit? :P

Should of kept my G1 figures! :(
EPIC WIN sig by slip!!
Psychout wrote:Less of the drama please, this is the internet, it's serious business.
Bloodlust
Headmaster
Strength: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 9
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10+

Postby noctorro » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:14 pm

Deluxe 10 dollars? Where?
Here they are 12 euro's, and those are the animated / universe figz.

Anyway good news. If we have to eat a little less to keep the monthly
haul alive then that's no prob. We are to fat anyway.

I also think a lot of families don't go on vacation but get their kids
some more toys/games.
http://www.plasticpolygon.com
I 3d design and print! Check out my instagram http://www.instagram.com/plasticpolygon3d for some Transformers weapons if you're interested. The War for Cybertron standard machine gun is ready as well as the Armada Optimus gun (smaller) and a Robotech Gunpod.
noctorro
Gestalt Team Leader

Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ANTAGONY Transformers Legacy Generations Selects Voyager 2023 New"
NEW!
ANTAGONY Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE #3 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926U"
TRANSFORMERS UNIVE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Trypticon RAMP (RIGHT HIP) Transformers Titans Return part accs 2017 230817E"
Trypticon RAMP (RI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STARSCREAM Transformers Generations Alt-Modes Series 1 Hasbro 2016"
STARSCREAM Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Protectobot ROOK Transformers Generations Combiner Wars IDW pack-in comic book"
Protectobot ROOK T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-GS25 TRANSMUTATE Transformers Generations Selects Deluxe Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-GS25 TRANSMUTA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Generations Alt-Modes Series 1 Hasbro 2016"
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKYWARP Transformers Combiner Wars Legends Class Hasbro 2015 New 240519A"
NEW!
SKYWARP Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MOTORMASTER Transformers Combiner Wars Voyager complete Menasor 2015 230903A"
MOTORMASTER Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Classics Universe Animated Legends 2008 230615A"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HARDHEAD Transformers Universe Ultra complete + instructions 2009 230920A"
HARDHEAD Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COSMOS Transformers Titans Return Generations Legends complete+more 2017 230429A"
COSMOS Transformer ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OBSIDIAN Transformers Universe Basic Ultra complete Hasbro 2003 230830A"
OBSIDIAN Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BLURR + HYPERFIRE Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete Hasbro 2016 230427A"
BLURR + HYPERFIRE ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #350 - Oops! All Optimus
Twincast / Podcast #350:
"Oops! All Optimus"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, May 18th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Crashbash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Apeface" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Sunstreaker Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 06 Voyager Class Movie 1 Starscream" on AMAZON