This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Michael Bay Wants Welker for Soundwave!

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Michael Bay Wants Welker for Soundwave!

Postby Jbrobst865 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:27 am

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=53595

Michael Bay has made this post on his official message board in response to pleas from the fans about Frank Welker doing the voice of Soundwave in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, considering he won't have the chance to voice Megatron again (Hugo Weaving is reprising that role):

I think I'm going to pursue Frank on Soundwave.

Michael

Sure hope that happens!
Jbrobst865
Mini-Con

Re: Michael Bay Wants Welker for Soundwave!

Postby TRANS+CRAZY » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:34 am

Whoo-hoo. Michael Bay's no match against the powers of us Transformers fans!

That would be so sweet to have Welker voice Soundwave in ROTF!
TRANS+CRAZY
Fuzor
News Credits: 1
Location: In Michigan... just minutes away from towns you've never heard of before...

Postby Roadbuster » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:59 am

Well that r he too is a fan of the Soundwave voice which would be ridiculously easy to make with todays technology.
Roadbuster
Gestalt Team Leader
News Credits: 6

Postby IAmThePeej » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:02 pm

Watch he gets Frank Conniff instead of Frank Welker...
Your local source for posts that are overly long.
IAmThePeej
Micromaster

Postby Tigertrack » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:02 pm

Motto: "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
michaelbay.com- More movie news to ponder. Michael Bay has made an announcement on his website, 'Shoot For The Edit', about a certain new character, in a certain sequel, being voiced by a certain voice actor who used to voice this character's Generation One incarnation in the cartoon.

Confused yet? Good, if you want to know, it'll be clear as glass when you read the quote below. Movie spoilers so beware!

"Nelson here...

S4TE forum member ‘MitP’ started a thread pleading Michael to use Frank Welker as the voice for Soundwave. Here is Michael’s response:

I think I'm going to pursue Frank on Soundwave. - Michael"

You can see the post on Bay's Official Site here.

Is Michael Bay giving into whining fans? Is this more Bay misinformation? If it's true, this could be something that leads many a generation one fan back to wanting to watch the sequel.
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 1082
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Postby justynnbailey » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:10 pm

Push the button Frank.
justynnbailey
Minibot

Postby Darth Bombshell » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:16 pm

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
Let's not forget that this is coming from the guy who denied Megatron was going to be in ROTF at all, then pretty much lied through his teeth about the context of said appearance when that cat was let out of the bag.
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt
News Credits: 487
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby T-Macksimus » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:38 pm

While it would be nice to think that we Fans have considerable influence in certain areas I think this is just Bays way of being nice enough to at least buy us a drink before bending us over. He said he would pursue it, he never said how hard he would pursue it.
If Welker doesn't answer his phone by the third ring, then the subject will have been pursued (technically) and the matter closed.
Don't get your hopes up folks, it'll just suck that much more when they get dashed on the jagged rocks below.
"That which does not kill me...had better run pretty damn fast!"
T-Macksimus
Gestalt

Postby Hard Hacker » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:38 pm

Apparently nobody apart from me likes the Robert O Smith iteration.
Hard Hacker
Headmaster Jr

Postby Serpent O - R » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:58 pm

Jbrobst865 wrote:Michael Bay has made this post on his official message board in response to pleas from the fans about Frank Welker doing the voice of Soundwave in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen:

I think I'm going to pursue Fanboy Money.

Michael

Edited for clarity.
SlyTF1 wrote:I dont understand why the hell anyone would see a movie for the story, if you want a story, go read a f*ckin book.
Serpent O - R
Fuzor
News Credits: 3

Postby Megatron Wolf » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:15 pm

Motto: "Cry havoc and let slip the Wolves of War, Vae Victus!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
Oh my god he did some thing right for a change. Wait does this mean the end of the world is here and hell finally froze over? Now all we need to do is hope that they let Welker actually play Soundwave the way he should and not the bayformer way. Only bit of good news about this movie yet. Well other than Barricade coming back.
Current TF count: 2042

Megatron Wolf
Faction Commander
News Credits: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7

Postby Savage » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:27 pm

Weapon: Diffraction Sword
Y'know, I can kinda picture a variation of Welker's Soundwave coming from Movie Soundwave, so if this proves true, I'll be quite happy. Even if it isn't, hopefully they'll go with someone who can do something similar.
WANTED: Botcon 2007 Dreadwind | BotCon 2014 Scorponok & Devcon
Savage
Godmaster
News Credits: 97
Speed: 7

Postby kirbenvost » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:43 pm

Motto: "Deal with it."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Sweeeeeet.
------------------------------
Old collection pics
------------------------------
For Sale/Trade
kirbenvost
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 11
Buy from kirbenvost on eBay
Speed: 10+
Firepower: 9

Postby oldskooltf » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:10 pm

Weapon: Missile Launcher
AWESOME news if it ends up being true.

I highly doubt Bay would post that and then later we find out it was a lie. That's one lie all the fans would be majorly pissed off about.

The lie about Megatron not coming back... I don't think the majority of fans were upset to find out Bay lied and that Megs is indeed back.

See the difference in what he chooses to lie about?

Anyway... as a big fan of G1 (who has also embraced Animated and the live-action movie), I think it's pretty amazing that we are given what we want in so many ways.

Cullen as the voice of Prime.
Welker as the voice of Soundwave.

The fact that we're even given classic G1 main characters like Prime, Megatron, Starcream, Bumblebee, Soundwave, Devastator, Ironhide, Jetfire, etc... to me is amazing. I mean... they could have scrapped a lot of those guys and given us Hot Shot and Sideburn and Lugnut and other characters that aren't G1 inspired (no offense to those guys). I mean, yes, there are some (Blackout, Barricade, Sideways, Demolisher, the Fallen), but the main G1 guys are there with main roles in these live-action movies.

My point is I think we as fans are too easy to focus on the negative instead of taking a step back and appreciating the positive.

We've been thrown more than just a bone in these movie decisions. I mean Peter Cullen is the voice of Prime after being out of the TF loop for over 20 years for cyring out loud. Starscream is still the fastest jet! We're getting Soundwave with Welker (rumor) as his voice!!! and Devastator!!! Stop complaining, please.

Personally, the only thing that could make me even more excited about RotF than I already am would be news on Shockwave and a seeker or two being in the film.

Hey... speaking of lies... do you think the dinobots not being able to work in this film could also be a lie??? (I doubt it, but just one of them being in it -- Grimlock -- would make this fanboy very happy, if they find a good way of making it work)
oldskooltf
Minibot
Speed: 4
Endurance: 5
Skill: 9

Postby oldskooltf » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:12 pm

Weapon: Missile Launcher
Megatron_Wolf wrote:Only bit of good news about this movie yet. Well other than Barricade coming back.

Did I miss something?

Where have we heard/read/seen that Barricade is coming back?

Did I miss some news item in the past week?

EDIT: The only thing I could find through a quick Seibertron news search was this: http://internetbusinessdaily.net/2008-f ... e-edition/ but that's from March of 2008 - one year ago and it's not clear where that flatbed truck was heading.
Last edited by oldskooltf on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldskooltf
Minibot
Endurance: 5

Postby capellamusic » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:17 pm

Motto: "Sex, food and rock'n'roll"
I really really hope this is true!! If it is not, than it's a very bad attitude to lie about this because it means a lot to many of us.
Optimus Prime: Great... but how are we gonna explain to capellamusic the hole on his wall?
Megatron: Hmm... a free natural air conditioning system?
capellamusic
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 4
Buy from capellamusic on eBay
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 3
Endurance: 9
Courage: 4
Firepower: 5

Postby i_amtrunks » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:15 pm

hang on, if Weaving has already recorded his lines for Megatron who "apparently" has only a small part to play, then surely the Voice actor for Soundwave would have also recorded their lines by now.

I'm thinking this is more mis-direction, in one form or another.
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Postby capellamusic » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:34 pm

Motto: "Sex, food and rock'n'roll"
i_amtrunks wrote:hang on, if Weaving has already recorded his lines for Megatron who "apparently" has only a small part to play, then surely the Voice actor for Soundwave would have also recorded their lines by now.

If it is, he's playing with fire...
Optimus Prime: Great... but how are we gonna explain to capellamusic the hole on his wall?
Megatron: Hmm... a free natural air conditioning system?
capellamusic
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 4
Buy from capellamusic on eBay
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 3
Courage: 4
Firepower: 5

Postby schmungbeen » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:52 pm

Indeed!
schmungbeen
Mini-Con

Postby Zeds » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:30 pm

Motto: "I once lost a battle. So long ago I can barely remember it."
Weapon: Thermal Melters
There is a God! My prayers have been answered.
BWOP: "Die-cast construction...It's a lost art!"

Longs for the days of G1 where we only had to worry about Megatron, Soundwave and Laserbeak wanting to be Autobots, Swoop calling himself Tracks and Slingshot calling himself Slingslot!
Zeds
Gestalt
News Credits: 9
Buy from Zeds on eBay
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10

Postby Serpent O - R » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:41 pm

capellamusic wrote:
i_amtrunks wrote:hang on, if Weaving has already recorded his lines for Megatron who "apparently" has only a small part to play, then surely the Voice actor for Soundwave would have also recorded their lines by now.

I don't think it's like that. If we recall, they didn't record Megs lines in the first film til well into Post.

If Frank is doing Soundwave, it's not a Huge role... Like Megs in the first one.
SlyTF1 wrote:I dont understand why the hell anyone would see a movie for the story, if you want a story, go read a f*ckin book.
Serpent O - R
Fuzor
News Credits: 3

Postby Night Raid » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:47 pm

Motto: "You can't hit what you can't see!"
Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
All other stuff aside, if this is true it'll be freakin' sweet.
Life can be pretty sweet when your alt-mode is a B-2 Stealth Bomber.

And for those of you who are wondering... I'M A GIRL!

I'm not prejudiced; I hate everyone equally.
Night Raid
Headmaster
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 9
Endurance: 10
Courage: 7

Postby partholon » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:33 pm

well i have to admit if its true its a good move . im not as obsessive about the finer details as some fans but if your gonna call a character "soundwave" and he looks sod all like soundwave the least you can do is make him SOUND like soundwave whilst talking.

one of the things that bugged me about the first film is while i could deal with the radical redesigns the voices just sounded, i dont know, generic.

nothing really screamed "ironhide" to me or "ratchet.

this doesnt mean i want ALL G1 voices, far from it, but there should be an analogy in terms of the characters personality traits, i think weaving was brilliant as megatron for instance and that worked for me. and the bloke that did baricade played a blinder, but the rest of the bots just sounded wrong/campy.

i think it says alot that cullens prime could really be accepted as him thanks to peters voice and the gravitas it imbued.

maybe we need more shakespearian types involved, or at least a little more distinction between the characters.
partholon
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 2

Postby SamYarbrough77 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:52 am

Motto: "Peace through Tyranny, and Consumerism"
too bad soundwave will have less lines than screamer did in the first. Id rather welker do the fallen its probably a bigger speaking role. this misinformation is way overrated. i may be proven wrong though. I kind of believe megs isnt in it till after credits. hasbro has to sell us megs regardless
SamYarbrough77
Minibot
Strength: 10+
Speed: 1
Courage: 7
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 3

Postby Elita One » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:47 am

Motto: "I will chop your head off!- Axe Cop"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Please let it be true. It would be the best early birthday present (Im 27 next month) ever. Bay must have finally got the message don't mess with the fans or we'll vote with our wallets. Do you honestly think that the first film would have done as well if Peter Cullen wasn't the voice of OP? Nope!
DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.
http://www.****.tumblr.com
Elita One
Headmaster Jr
Watch Elita One on YouTube
Buy from Elita One on eBay

Next

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #2 4th ptg Image Comics 2023 1023IM893 (CA) Torque (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #2 4th ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 3rd ptg Image Comics 2023 1023IM896 (CA) Parel + Chuong"
TRANSFORMERS #1 3r ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCORCHED #25 Cvr B Image Comics 2024 1023IM371 25B (CA) Glapion (W) McFarlane"
SCORCHED #25 Cvr B ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #57 Cvr C Image Comics 2023 DEC220315 57C (CA) Manapul"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCORCHED #1 Cvr D Image Comics 2022 OCT210018 1D Spawn (CA) McFarlane (W) Lewis"
SCORCHED #1 Cvr D ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DEPARTMENT OF TRUTH #13 Cvr A Image Comics 2021 JUL210223 13A (A/CA) Simmonds"
DEPARTMENT OF TRUT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #4 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 4D GI JOE 0124IM250 (CA) Clarke (W) Williamson"
DUKE #4 Cvr D 1:25 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #15 Cvr D Image Comics 2021 MAR210244 15D (CA) Tedesco"
NEW!
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FIRE POWER #4 Image Comics 2020 AUG200346 (W) Kirkman (A/CA) Samnee + Wilson"
FIRE POWER #4 Imag ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "PRIMORDIAL #1 Cvr H 1:75 moon footprint Image Comics 2021 JUL210016 1H"
PRIMORDIAL #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY #16 Cvr B Image Comics 2021 JUL210278 16B (CA) Peral"
UNDISCOVERED COUNT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LAST MERMAID #1 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 0124IM202 1A (W/A/CA) Kim"
LAST MERMAID #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #7 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 2024 Skybound 0224IM315 7C (CA) Darboe"
NEW!
TRANSFORMERS #7 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCORCHED #21 Cvr A Image Comics 2023 JUN230350 21A (CA) Mele (W) Lewis (A) Soy"
SCORCHED #21 Cvr A ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #350 - Oops! All Optimus
Twincast / Podcast #350:
"Oops! All Optimus"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, May 18th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Computron Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Blot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Apeface" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Mirage Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Skrapnel" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Titans Return Autobots Throttle and Breakaway Action Figure" on AMAZON