This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

CNN- Video "Old Toys Get New Life"

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

CNN- Video "Old Toys Get New Life"

Postby Tigertrack » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:46 pm

Motto: "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
cnn.com- The recession is hitting everyone hard. Choices need to be made in families, and companies alike.

With the idea of competing for people's dollars becoming even more important, toy companies are returning to reliable, known brands...in other words its what all Transformers fans already know...nostalgia sells.

This short video is about the effects of the recession on the toy industry and what toy companies are doing to still compete for your dollars. Featured in it are brand names such as GI JOE, Barbie, and Transformers.

You can view the video here, and discuss how the recession and economy may (or may not) be effecting your spending habits.
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 1082
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Re: CNN- Video "Old Toys Get New Life"

Postby GuyIncognito » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:58 pm

Cool video. I liked seeing my old Fisher-Price garage and barn there.

Toys are like comfort food. If anything, hearing bad news about the economy every day makes me want to go out and buy MORE Transformers. I've still got my job, so there's no reason to cut back.
GuyIncognito
Faction Commander
News Credits: 12
Buy from GuyIncognito on eBay

Postby bagofshhh » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:01 pm

That's pretty funny, because the Universe 2.0 and Animated lines were full of characters that bring up feelings of nostalgia. Too bad they are being scaled back and/or suspended (at least for a while).
bagofshhh
Mini-Con

Postby Cheetron » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:16 pm

transformers were always my version of a comfort blankie. I loved the idea of getting older characters in new forms, made me feel like a kid again. But.... Higher prices on said toys that are so cheaply made and designed ruin it for me. I'm buying less thanks to it. I would love to be able to walk into a store and pick up Wreck-gar, one of my favs from so long ago. Now I'm researching on defects, percentage of loose ones to good ones, how bad the paint is. It just destroys the fun for me.

Sorry, but my old toys are gone.
Cheetron
Pretender
News Credits: 1

Postby harvester » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:24 pm

Cheetron wrote: Now I'm researching on defects, percentage of loose ones to good ones, how bad the paint is. It just destroys the fun for me.

That's why you gotta only go for the Binaltech [possibly some alternators] and the new Alternity figures. Even Masterpiece. These are more like our childhood figures but not just having the style upgraded, the complexity as well. So these are the perfect upgrade for those feelings. I agree what you say about a lot of the Universe ones though.
harvester
Fuzor

Postby partholon » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:05 pm

LORD ! :grin: :grin: :grin:

I had that fisher price garage ! me da got it for me when i burned my knee off a motor bike exaust that my eldest brother was thinking of buying.

i always liked the yellow one myself with the red cap, as he always seemed pissed off ! :)

its not surprising to see companies fall back on their old sucesses. even in other sectors when a recession hits you got back to the model you had when you last were in a recession. usually that means cutting back on managment, HR , and advertising. this is just an extension of that.

after all, why invest in NEW products from scratch when you know what already worked once and can quickly get up and running with a few tweaks.
partholon
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 2

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:06 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
I'm surprised they showed the G1 gun Megatron toy in that commercial bit, since the toy is no longer legal to be bougth and sold in the U.S. nowadays.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 439
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby TankedThomas » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:16 pm

For some reason, although the link looks right on Seibertron compared to the actual video page itself, Seibertron's link is sending me to some middle eastern video. I had to manually search for the Old Toys Get New Life video....
TankedThomas
Micromaster
News Credits: 1
Watch TankedThomas on YouTube
Strength: 3
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 4
Endurance: 4
Courage: ???
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10

Postby Tripredacus agent » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Cheetron wrote:transformers were always my version of a comfort blankie. I loved the idea of getting older characters in new forms, made me feel like a kid again. But.... Higher prices on said toys that are so cheaply made and designed ruin it for me. I'm buying less thanks to it. I would love to be able to walk into a store and pick up Wreck-gar, one of my favs from so long ago. Now I'm researching on defects, percentage of loose ones to good ones, how bad the paint is. It just destroys the fun for me.

So say we all... :APPLAUSE:
" Job has all his children killed, and Michael Bay gets to keep making movies. Then I was right there is no God." - Kyle Broflovski
Tripredacus agent
Mini-Con

Postby JesWal » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:11 pm

Motto: "I aim to misbehave."
Weapon: Electro-Magnetic Rocket Launcher
Nostalgia sells...

...but apparently major motion pictures sell more!

Don't get me wrong, i enjoy the movies, and I think some cool things were done with the toys, but in the end I'd rather have more Universe and Animated. Way cooler than more Movie-formers. But I guess the little kids are gonna go see the movie, see the toys (So cleverly packed in Robot Mode so they are more recognizable as specific characters!) and get mommy and daddy to buy the whole set before Christmas. :P

As we figured out long ago, Hasbro exists to make money, so I know it's nothing against the fans.
JesWal
Fuzor
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby Metroplex79 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:46 pm

Awwww...the Fisher Price Garage I remember that...I used to pretend it was a Autobot base at school...this was before 1986 of course.

If someone here was crazy enough...he/she could customize it to be the ultimate Micromaster headquarters!!! Even better than Countdown and Skystalker combined!!! :lol:

I also liked how they played a clip of the original TF commercial, too bad Joe fans!!! :P

In regards to this newsclip,I knew this would happen 14 years ago :-B
Metroplex79
Transmetal Warrior
News Credits: 6

Postby typh0id » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Sabrblade wrote:I'm surprised they showed the G1 gun Megatron toy in that commercial bit, since the toy is no longer legal to be bougth and sold in the U.S. nowadays.

Hehe yeah I caught that too :P

And I think it's funny they kept showing Anniversary Prime because most people (myself included) thought that particular release of the figure was ass...and retardedly overpriced...Nostalgia may sell, but every store in town has about 30 of those Primes they can't seem to get rid of...
"Reality doesn't care if you believe it..."
----------
"You bitches!" ~Shockwave
typh0id
Brainmaster
News Credits: 4
Buy from typh0id on eBay

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Marvel Super Heroes SECRET WARS #1 Facsimile var 1:50 Marvel Comics 2024 MSH"
Marvel Super Heroe ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INCREDIBLE HULK #181 facsimile Marvel Comics 2023 ptg MAY230702 (CA) Trimpe"
INCREDIBLE HULK #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHOWCASE #22 Facsimile Green Lantern Cvr B DC Comics 2024 ptg 0224DC169 Blank"
NEW!
SHOWCASE #22 Facsi ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Marvel Super Heroes SECRET WARS #4 Facsimile 1:25 Marvel Comics 2024 JAN240934"
NEW!
Marvel Super Heroe ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #5 Facsimile Cvr B foil DC Comics 2023 ptg 0923DC269 5B (CA) Kane"
BATMAN #5 Facsimil ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "IRON MAN #1 Facsimile Marvel Comics 2023 MAR230609 (W) Goodwin (A/CA) Colan"
IRON MAN #1 Facsim ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WOLVERINE #1 Limited Series Facsimile Marvel Comics 2023 ptg (CA) Miller 231227"
WOLVERINE #1 Limit ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #404 Facsimile Cvr B blank sketch DC Comics 2023 ptg 1023DC211 404B"
BATMAN #404 Facsim ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MILITARY COMICS #1 Facsimile DC Comics 2024 ptg 0324DC137 (CA) Cuidera"
NEW!
MILITARY COMICS #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ROM SPACEKNIGHT #1 Facsimile Marvel Comics 2023 JUL230684 (W) Mantlo (CA) Miller"
ROM SPACEKNIGHT #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #255 Facsimile 1:25 Marvel Comics 2024 FEB240721 (CA) Clarke"
NEW!
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INCREDIBLE HULK #180 facsimile Marvel Comics 2023 ptg MAY230701 (CA) Trimpe"
INCREDIBLE HULK #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OMEGA MEN #3 Facsimile Edition DC Comics 2023 ptg 0623DC259 1st Lobo (CA) Giffen"
OMEGA MEN #3 Facsi ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #5 Facsimile Cvr A DC Comics 2023 ptg 0923DC268 5A (CA) Kane (W) Finger"
BATMAN #5 Facsimil ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #350 - Oops! All Optimus
Twincast / Podcast #350:
"Oops! All Optimus"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, May 18th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Unicronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Overboard Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Menasor Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON