This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

TRANSFORMERS: WAR JOURNAL

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

TRANSFORMERS: WAR JOURNAL

Postby Richter » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:20 pm

Transformers: War Journal.
Story: John-Paul Bove
Script: Josh van Reyk & Jon Stone.
Art: Tom Parish, Casey Coller, Matt C. Adams, Shane Anderson, Richard Cookson, Stanley Chou, John Flores, Jon Stone, Stavros Kundromichalis, Jeremy Tiongson & Evan Gauntt.
Colors: John-Paul Bove.
Letters: Bernie Lee.
Covers: Josh Burcham, Tom Parrish, Kent Lin.
Sketch Cover: Andrew Wildman.

Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Well, here we are. HUGE thanks to all the talented artists who have contributed to this project; all of your hard work has made this comic so much more that I ever imagined. Special thanks to both John-Paul Bove and Bernie Lee for their amazing work and dedication, without them this project would not nearly be as “professional.” Extra special thanks to both Andrew Wildman and Josh Burcham for their contributions. I have been very blessed to have been involved in this project and am extremely amazed with how this has turned out.

I hope you all enjoy reading this piece, as much as I have helping to create it.

- Josh van Reyk
Last edited by Richter on Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richter
Targetmaster
News Credits: 430

Re: TRANSFORMERS: WAR JOURNAL

Postby WhiteRabbit » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:33 pm

Congratulations guys! It's been a pleasure to watch this great project come into fruition behind the scenes.

I'm proud of you all, take a bow. I'm glad everyone can now enjoy the months of hard work you all put into this comic!

I'd also like to take this opportunity to instigate a round of applause to Andrew Wildman for contributing that Hot Spot sketch cover!

Take a moment to check out the Draw The World charity noted on that cover here:
http://drawtheworldtogether.wordpress.com/welcome/
WhiteRabbit
Vehicon
News Credits: 156

Postby Burn » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:42 pm

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
oooooo spiffy! Now to make a CBR of it to make it even more fun to read! :grin:
Burn
Forum Admin
News Credits: 226

Postby Justicity » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:54 pm

Right, I've gots me some reading to do... *saves all the files & opens file in Windows image viewer*
Before reading it I'd just like to say it looks great, and I can't wait to read it properly!

Now I've read it I'd like to say WOW!!! Amazing!
Love the art, and love the story! I really enjoyed the construction of Superion.
Justicity
Godmaster
News Credits: 2

Postby Sherade » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:07 pm

This is amazing.
But I still want my Silverbolt. :grin:
previousPrime wrote:The clock guy has impressive testicles.
Sherade
City Commander
News Credits: 1

Postby Duke of Luns » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:33 pm

Fantastic :APPLAUSE: . Loved every page, every word, every color, and you released it a day early too :grin: .

Thought the use of Japanese characters was great, and noticed a couple European guys too. Raindance was awsomely used too, I snickered when Hot Spot said he was only as big as his arm.

First Aid has been one of my favorite characters since I saw "The Ultimate Weapon" some years back, and his characterization here re-affirmed my liking of the character. Poor bot, I know Ratchet has been portrayed similar in the past, but never in a front-line situation. Poor Minerva too, but it was great to see a "love" angle integrated into Transformer lore again.

Yep, great job, and thanks for bringing us something so great, something that I would gladly buy for full price. I'm also in the process of downloading it to my computer.

Really, really high above and beyond top-notch from everyone involved ;)^ .
Duke of Luns
Gestalt

Postby Jeysie » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:28 pm

Motto: "Peace, Love, and Rock n' Roll"
Weapon: Dirge Gun
Just finished reading this, and, whew. I agree, it's awesome stuff!

I feel really sorry for poor First Aid and for Silverbolt (Hmm, Sherade, are we allowed to share the possessive noun?) and the Aerialbots. The whole comic, in fact, brings up the question of whether it's worth it to live at all costs. Pretty creepy and thought-provoking at the same time. (More thoughts later, most likely, when I have a chance to read it again.)

And, Richter, I shall be a little evil and say that the last half of page 7 was incredibly gratifying and thank you for writing it. :twisted: (I've been waiting for someone to finally do that...)
Jeysie
Transmetal Warrior
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 1
Skill: 8

Postby Richter » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:29 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind words so far. It's such a relief that so many people are enjoying this piece.
Richter
Targetmaster

Postby Richter » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:32 pm

Jeysie wrote:And, Richter, I shall be a little evil and say that the last half of page 7 was incredibly gratifying and thank you for writing it. :twisted: (I've been waiting for someone to finally do that...)

Thanks, it was fun to write that particluar event :)
Richter
Targetmaster

Postby Pyrostrata » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:28 am

Motto: "Autobots just BORE me!"
Weapon: Flamethrower Cannons
WOW! Fantastic work guys! Total kudos! :APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE:
Cannabis Prime wrote:I didn't know a super-sonic jet could park on the grass like that!

Caboose wrote:Time is not made out of lines! Time is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!

The First Lady of Rage on the Twincast Podcast! http://www.seibertron.com/podcast/

Desperately seeking: Individual weapons (flash included) and missiles for G1 Reflector! PM me if ya got em!
Pyrostrata
Podcast Staff
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Postby Sentinel Pax » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:42 am

Wow! This was awesome. Any chance we'll get to see any more of these full-length comics?
Edit: Who's the Autobot with the pink body and blue helmet with yellow crest? I'm pretty sure he's a European Autobot, but I can't recall his name.

P.S.
Think IDW might publish this, maybe?
Last edited by Sentinel Pax on Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sentinel Pax
Targetmaster

Postby doomboy536 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:33 pm

Actually awesome! :grin:
Psychout wrote:To deliberately leave your allies and friends outnumbered and out-gunned in missions for personal gain in the arena is cowardice, end of.

Quoted for truth
doomboy536
Targetmaster
Location: England, which is part of the United Kingdom, so I guess both?

Postby Menbailee » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:36 pm

My hat goes off to all of the team that created this. You've created what looks like a professional comic. It might even fit permanently into the IDW continuity, depending on what Furman does with that story as time goes on. Making characters react to a hopeless battle has always been an interesting kind of writing, and the comic pays off with some turns we haven't frequently seen in the TF universe.

You guys made a big fuss out of the War Journal coming out, and now we can all see why it was worth it.
Menbailee
Vehicon

Postby Sentinel Pax » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:54 pm

My favorite part of the last page is Blades. If only all the other Autobots were as vicious as him, they wouldn't be in that situation, haha.
Sentinel Pax
Targetmaster

Postby Richter » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:51 pm

Sentinel Pax wrote:Wow! This was awesome. Any chance we'll get to see any more of these full-length comics?
Edit: Who's the Autobot with the pink body and blue helmet with yellow crest? I'm pretty sure he's a European Autobot, but I can't recall his name.

P.S.

That's Flash, one of the Turbo-masters.
Richter
Targetmaster

Postby wordmongerer » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:32 pm

Justicity wrote:Right, I've gots me some reading to do... *saves all the files & opens file in Windows image viewer*
Before reading it I'd just like to say it looks great, and I can't wait to read it properly!

Now I've read it I'd like to say WOW!!! Amazing!
Love the art, and love the story! I really enjoyed the construction of Superion.

Thanks! This started out as a 3 pager and that was one of them.
wordmongerer
Micromaster

Postby wordmongerer » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:33 pm

Duke of Luns wrote:Fantastic :APPLAUSE: . Loved every page, every word, every color, and you released it a day early too :grin: .

Thought the use of Japanese characters was great, and noticed a couple European guys too. Raindance was awsomely used too, I snickered when Hot Spot said he was only as big as his arm.

First Aid has been one of my favorite characters since I saw "The Ultimate Weapon" some years back, and his characterization here re-affirmed my liking of the character. Poor bot, I know Ratchet has been portrayed similar in the past, but never in a front-line situation. Poor Minerva too, but it was great to see a "love" angle integrated into Transformer lore again.

Yep, great job, and thanks for bringing us something so great, something that I would gladly buy for full price. I'm also in the process of downloading it to my computer.

Really, really high above and beyond top-notch from everyone involved ;)^ .

Thanks so much, everyone did such a tremendous job on this.
wordmongerer
Micromaster

Postby wordmongerer » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:36 pm

Sentinel Pax wrote:Wow! This was awesome. Any chance we'll get to see any more of these full-length comics?

Maaaaaaybe....

Sentinel Pax wrote:Edit: Who's the Autobot with the pink body and blue helmet with yellow crest? I'm pretty sure he's a European Autobot, but I can't recall his name.

It's Flash. Saviour of the universe...

It's very unlikely, but they did enjoy it!
Last edited by wordmongerer on Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wordmongerer
Micromaster

Postby Dead Metal » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:37 pm

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
That was an awesome read!
I loved it, I really did.
:APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE:

Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 767

Postby wordmongerer » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:40 pm

Menbailee wrote:My hat goes off to all of the team that created this. You've created what looks like a professional comic. It might even fit permanently into the IDW continuity, depending on what Furman does with that story as time goes on. Making characters react to a hopeless battle has always been an interesting kind of writing, and the comic pays off with some turns we haven't frequently seen in the TF universe.

You guys made a big fuss out of the War Journal coming out, and now we can all see why it was worth it.

Thanks for those kind words. We wanted to make something that wouldn't look out of place on a shelf and something that would "feel" as much like an IDW comic as possible but with a twist and I wanted to do a war story that felt like a proper war, although one that would fit in 22 pages...
wordmongerer
Micromaster

Postby wordmongerer » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:10 pm

Menbailee wrote:My hat goes off to all of the team that created this. You've created what looks like a professional comic.

On behalf of everyone - thanks, we worked very, very hard to do the best we could.

Menbailee wrote:It might even fit permanently into the IDW continuity, depending on what Furman does with that story as time goes on.

Sooner or later unfortunately it'll get contradicted although this does take place slightly further in the future than current IDW comics so this hasn't happened yet.

Menbailee wrote:Making characters react to a hopeless battle has always been an interesting kind of writing, and the comic pays off with some turns we haven't frequently seen in the TF universe.

The concept was to tell a war story that felt like being in the trenches and the hard decisions that get made. Very pleased you dug it!

Menbailee wrote:You guys made a big fuss out of the War Journal coming out, and now we can all see why it was worth it.

That's the nicest thing you could have said!
wordmongerer
Micromaster

Postby Sentinel Pax » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:09 pm

Ah, Flash! Thanks, guys. Keep up the good work.
Sentinel Pax
Targetmaster

Postby Jeysie » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:03 pm

Motto: "Peace, Love, and Rock n' Roll"
Weapon: Dirge Gun
wordmongerer wrote:

Maaaaaaybe....

Heh! I'd love to see another one, myself. In particular, I think the Mosaic format is almost perfectly tailor-suited to a Rashomon-inspired story.

wordmongerer wrote:I wanted to do a war story that felt like a proper war, although one that would fit in 22 pages...

I think you succeeded in spades there. I remember lamenting to an online friend that there seems to be too little TF stuff that really deals with the idea of the endless fighting the TFs have to endure. His response upon reading this comic was, "There, you got what you wanted! You happy now?" ;)

Anyhoo. As I promised, (a lot) more thoughts now that I'm reading this at a time when I'm not ready to nod off to bed.

It seems like it is the cosmic fate of the Aerialbots to eventually get shot out of the sky and then rebuilt into some bizarre contraption. At least this time it was for a noble purpose and it was a well-meaning Autobot that did the latter.

I already mentioned page 7, but I'll also say that now that I think about it, it reminds me of a similar vibe to that Deep Space Nine episode where Sisko ends up decking Q. ("P-Picard never would have hit me!" "I'm not Picard!") But Slingshot's belligerence *does* have more focus and purpose here than his usually just being a blustering jerk.

Then we have poor Silverbolt. The Bot really never ever gets a chance to be happy, does he? I can't even think of an instance in the cartoon where he so much as got to smile! An interesting take on his fear of heights, too, in it really being a cover for deeper worries. (As the old quip goes, "It’s not the fall that gets you, it’s that sudden stop at the end.")

The take on Superion is indeed creepy and original. Much more Frankensteinian than the ultimate expression of teamwork it's usually portrayed as. I also like how in just a few brief text bubbles we got an implication of the five disparate personalities and what it's like for them to all try to fit together.

(Side note: I never really had any particular problem with combiners in the original series, since there were several implications as to why it wouldn't be more common. But that's a tangent, and furthermore this *is* IDW continuity, which I'm not familiar with yet. So moving on...)

I really, really feel sorry for poor First Aid in this one. First he loses his partner Minerva. Then he finds that no matter what he tries to do to make things better and save lives, he just seems to keep making things *worse* instead and digging himself (and everyone else) into an even deeper hole. As I said earlier, the idea he seems to have to struggle with is, "When is surviving and keeping people alive no longer worth the cost you need to put into it?" Not an easy question for an inherently empathic and earnest Bot.

Hot Spot, meanwhile, seems to take over the mantle from *his* role model a bit more adeptly. In the end he does make the hard choices, comes up with a plan that succeeds despite the sacrifices... and has it be completely for naught as Optimus more or less consigns him and the others to the same fate he was forced to give the Aerialbots. Ouch.

Some more random thoughts:

Blades' page is both creepy and cool at the same time. Is (was) that the remains of Shrapnel?

Always good to see the Autobot cassettes get some "screentime", although they're probably wishing they got less right about now. Hurrah for Blaster's alter-ego Twincast as well.

Nice little twist on how the Protectobots got their name.

Finally, the last two-page spread is just seriously cool. (Charge of the Photon Brigade, indeed.)

I *think* that's everything I can think of to say here. It was indeed worth the wait, and I'm incredibly envious that you folks got enough talent to come up with something this good.
Jeysie
Transmetal Warrior
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Courage: 7
Firepower: 1
Skill: 8

Postby i_amtrunks » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:24 pm

I stupidly posted this question in the double thread, think it'll get answered better here.

Any reason as to why Flash was used? Were his other Turbomaster brethren already decimated? I know, not really important, but I do loves seeing my fav figure getting some time in the spotlight!
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Postby Autobot Jazz » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:56 pm

:shock: :shock: That...was...awesome!
My Feedback
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=37218
My Wants viewtopic.php?f=36&t=39782
Recent Acquirements:Animated Ratchet, Starscream, Voyager Megatron, Battle Begins 2-Pack
Autobot Jazz
Pretender
News Credits: 3

Next

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv #3 Cvr A IDW Comics 2023 MAY231420 3A (CA) Lattie"
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT VS STREET FIGHTER #4 Cvr E 1:50 IDW Comics 2023 JUN231489 4E (CA) Beals"
TMNT VS STREET FIG ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #3 Cvr ZD 1:15 Virgin Dynamite Comics 2024 JAN249146 3ZD (CA) Moss"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #3 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT VS STREET FIGHTER #2 Cvr B IDW Comics 2023 APR231626 2B (CA) Sanchez"
TMNT VS STREET FIG ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv #4 Cvr B IDW Comics 2023 OCT221762 4B (CA) Galloway"
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #3 Cvr ZE 1:15 Foil Virgin Dynamite Comics 2024 JAN249147 3ZE Tao"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #3 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR TMNT II #4 Cvr D Boom Studios Comics 2023 JAN230390 4D (CA) Gibson"
MMPR TMNT II #4 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #1 3rd ptg Cvr D 1:10 virgin foil Dynamite Comics 2024 JAN249151"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #1 3rd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #2 Cvr B Dynamite Comics 2024 JAN240106 2B (CA) Parrillo (W) Shalvey"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #2 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR TMNT II #4 Cvr C Boom Studios Comics 2023 JAN230389 4C (CA) Gibson"
MMPR TMNT II #4 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT ARMAGEDDON GAME #3 RI 1:10 IDW Comics SEP221734 3RI (CA) Qualano 230103A"
TMNT ARMAGEDDON GA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Best of ALOPEX #1 IDW Comics 2024 Ninja Turtles FEB241079 (CA) Biggie"
NEW!
TMNT Best of ALOPE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Vampirella Dracula UNHOLY #2 Cvr M TMNT homage Dynamite Comics 2022 NOV218081 2M"
Vampirella Dracula ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ZC FOC Dynamite Comics 2024 DEC237139 1ZC (CA) Liefeld"
THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Generations Exclusive Cyber Battalion Class Shockwave Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 12 Voyager Class Movie 1 Decepticon Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Firefly Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Decepticon Ravage(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Sky Shadow and  Ominus" on AMAZON