This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Iwata airbrush recommendations

This thread is dedicated to the discussion of Transformers customization. Post tips, ideas and sources here.

Iwata airbrush recommendations

Postby Ginrai Minor » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:51 pm

Motto: "All will cease to function in time, peace will then exist."
Weapon: Sword of Fury
Getting into airbrush painting now due to Gundam and more advanced TF customization.

I know I want to get one of the Mr. Linear Air compressor/regulator kits, and I see a lot of Iwata airbrushes as the common denominator for most artist. But out of their product line whats the best investment? I understand multiple airbrushes might be necessary as well. Thanks in advance for the info! :CON:
Ginrai Minor
Vehicon
Watch Ginrai Minor on YouTube
Buy from Ginrai Minor on eBay
Strength: N/A
Speed: N/A

Re: Iwata airbrush recommendations

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
While I don't know enough about Iwata AB's to recommend any (still using a budget Tamiya basic AB which has served me pretty well so far), I do recommend getting one or two single action AB's, and one double-action AB, if you do plan on buying more than one.

The reason behind this is that single-action ones are simpler and have less parts to clean. They're useful and convenient for simple one-color paint jobs or priming. You can buy a couple of those and load both up with different colors. That way, you don't have to clean out the AB to spray another color in the same session.

And since you'll be buying more than one, it's good to stick with single action for this purpose because they're cheaper than double action ones, and you don't need to do anything fancy with straight-up paint jobs.

The double-action AB is best used for effects such as post/pre-shading, filtering or painting exhaust stains, due to the ability to control the air pressure and amount of paint. As you probably already know, double action AB's require more skill to use and require more time to clean due to the extra parts.

Some people complain about getting finger cramps when using traditional "pen-type" AB's. I don't know how true this is, since I use a trigger-type AB. Both Tamiya and Iwata (who makes the AB's for Tamiya anyway) have trigger-type AB, so you might want ot look into those, too.

They'll be somewhat more expensive, though.

Hope this helps some, even if I wasn't able to answer your main question. :D
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
News Credits: 1
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Postby Klusterprime » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:35 pm

You should start with the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS this gun will do what you need for model making, easy to keep clean works when you need it to, I used it for years and have 2 of them parts are easy to find and not to expensive I got there combo with the compressor was a great deal and the compressor has been flawless and quiet.
good luck
Clusterprime
Klusterprime
Minibot

Postby Ginrai Minor » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:00 pm

SKYWARPED_128 wrote:While I don't know enough about Iwata AB's to recommend any (still using a budget Tamiya basic AB which has served me pretty well so far), I do recommend getting one or two single action AB's, and one double-action AB, if you do plan on buying more than one.

The reason behind this is that single-action ones are simpler and have less parts to clean. They're useful and convenient for simple one-color paint jobs or priming. You can buy a couple of those and load both up with different colors. That way, you don't have to clean out the AB to spray another color in the same session.

And since you'll be buying more than one, it's good to stick with single action for this purpose because they're cheaper than double action ones, and you don't need to do anything fancy with straight-up paint jobs.

The double-action AB is best used for effects such as post/pre-shading, filtering or painting exhaust stains, due to the ability to control the air pressure and amount of paint. As you probably already know, double action AB's require more skill to use and require more time to clean due to the extra parts.

Some people complain about getting finger cramps when using traditional "pen-type" AB's. I don't know how true this is, since I use a trigger-type AB. Both Tamiya and Iwata (who makes the AB's for Tamiya anyway) have trigger-type AB, so you might want ot look into those, too.

They'll be somewhat more expensive, though.

Hope this helps some, even if I wasn't able to answer your main question. :D

That was a solid explanation into an ideal starting set-up for ABing with some great insights, thank you very much I appreciate it!!
Ginrai Minor
Vehicon

Postby Ginrai Minor » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:10 pm

Clusterprime wrote:You should start with the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS this gun will do what you need for model making, easy to keep clean works when you need it to, I used it for years and have 2 of them parts are easy to find and not to expensive I got there combo with the compressor was a great deal and the compressor has been flawless and quiet.
good luck
Clusterprime

Awesome! the HP-CS was one I had my eye on. Thanks again for the recommendation. So you like their compressor kit, I was worried about a choice on compressors. I want a very low volume comp. due to living in an apartment. The Mr.Linear seems like a solid one and done comp but if I can get by for cheaper that would of course be ideal.
Ginrai Minor
Vehicon

Postby Klusterprime » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:44 pm

So you like their compressor kit, I was worried about a choice on compressors. I want a very low volume comp. due to living in an apartment.

The Iwata one I have was perfect for that I lived in apt and did a lot of late night painting the compressor is so quiet the wife in the next room does not hear it, going on 5 years on it and the brush.
Single action is just that one action,duel action is more like 100 actions you can adjust the flow of paint by pulling back on the trigger, the idea is to spend more time painting and less adjusting.
you can start with whatever you like but if your serious about airbrushing you will end up with an Iwata in the end.
Clusterprime
Klusterprime
Minibot

Return to Transtopian Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr P Dynamite Comics 2024 DEC230219 1P (W) Shalvey (A/CA) Moss"
THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #3 Cvr C Dynamite Comics 2024 FEB240190 3C (W/CA) Shalvey"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #3 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #2 Cvr Q 1:20 foil Dynamite Comics 2024 JAN240121 2Q Nakayama"
THUNDERCATS #2 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Masters Universe MASTERVERSE #2 Cvr C Dark Horse Comics JAN230441 2C (CA) Santos"
Masters Universe M ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Masters Universe FORGE DESTINY #2 Cvr C Dark Horse Comics AUG231236 2C Hardman"
Masters Universe F ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr U 1:25 LINE ART Dynamite Comics DEC230224 1U (CA) Parrillo"
THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Masters Universe FORGE DESTINY #1 Cvr C Dark Horse Comics JUL231104 1C Rodriguez"
Masters Universe F ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #3 Cvr U 1:40 Virgin Dynamite Comics 2024 FEB240208 3U (CA) Tao"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #3 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Masters Universe MASTERVERSE #4 Cvr C Dark Horse Comics MAR230302 4C MOTU Ossio"
Masters Universe M ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #3 Cvr S 1:25 virgin Dynamite Comics 2024 FEB240206 3S (CA) Parrillo"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #3 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr G FOIL Dynamite Comics 2024 DEC230210 1G (CA) Nakayama"
THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #2 Cvr N 1:15 black light Dynamite Comics 2024 JAN240118 2N Nakayama"
THUNDERCATS #2 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #3 Cvr X 1:10 Foil Dynamite Comics 2024 JAN249140 3X (CA) Tao"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #3 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Masters Universe FORGE DESTINY #4 Cvr A Dark Horse Comics OCT231205 4A (CA)Nunez"
Masters Universe F ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #350 - Oops! All Optimus
Twincast / Podcast #350:
"Oops! All Optimus"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, May 18th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars - MEGATRON Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force 1-Step Changer Soundwave" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Team Combiner Ultra Bee, 8.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Strafe" on AMAZON