This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

My First Repaint: Starscream

Post all your customized Transformers here. Whether it's a small mod or a true kitbash, we'd love to see it!

My First Repaint: Starscream

Postby Mykltron » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:16 am

Motto: "If I win again I'm still the champion. If you win HAH! that's just impossible.

Weapon: tea cup."
When I bought Classics Starscream about 2 years ago I wasn't impressed with the rubbish paint job. I though it very odd that an update of a character would be painted with the wrong colours (orange? wtf?) and with the wrong patterns so I bought my first set of paints and brushes and repainted him.

I used masking tape to give straight edges for the wing lines but discovered masking tape doesn't do a good jog of masking as it sucks the paint underneath. I ended up doing all the lines on the wings and fins by hand.

I based the jet mode on the G1 toy and the robot mode on how he looks in the cartoon. I also trimmed the inside of his waist to allow greater range of motion for his thighs. Here are the pics, let me know what you think!

I was particularly pleased with the turbines on his chest:

Why not take a look at My TF Repaints? Updated 23rd January 2015
Mykltron
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 9

Re: My First Repaint: Starscream

Postby Grimpoo » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:00 pm

dude for a first reapint that bugger is beautiful. And as for your claim on masking tape...it depends on what brand and style you use. 3M makes a Fine line tape...it seals the piece your working on so that you dont get the problem of paint getting under the tape. also another trick i use so it wont happen when im not using fine line tape. Pull it off almost as soon as you apply the paint. That doesnt give the paint time to swim around while it drys.
Grimpoo

Postby bellyboy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:12 pm

nice work

what about some detailing ?
lines, dirt , some stickers?
bellyboy
Micromaster

Postby Mykltron » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:27 pm

Motto: "If I win again I'm still the champion. If you win HAH! that's just impossible.

Weapon: tea cup."
Grimpoo wrote:3M makes a Fine line tape...it seals the piece your working on so that you dont get the problem of paint getting under the tape.

The tape had to be put over the grey paint to do the red/white line. If I used a really sticky tape it would have pulled the paint off.

bellyboy wrote:what about some detailing ?

I'll consider adding some of that, but I was basing it on the cartoon so I kept it simple. When I did this repaint I didn't know about drybrushing, dark lining or washes - I just had a steady hand!

Why not take a look at My TF Repaints? Updated 23rd January 2015
Mykltron
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 9

Postby flix » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:01 pm

when you have done the fist layer or the base color, before doing any detailing it is handy to spray some protective coating first.
let it dry for a day and then it is safe(r) to use tape.
when you've done it right the tape shoud not rip any paint off
-----------------next Repaints--------------------
ROTF Sideways

"If you're going to panic, do it constructively"

flix
Micromaster
News Credits: 4

Postby Grimpoo » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:58 pm

Mykltron wrote:
Grimpoo wrote:3M makes a Fine line tape...it seals the piece your working on so that you dont get the problem of paint getting under the tape.

The tape had to be put over the grey paint to do the red/white line. If I used a really sticky tape it would have pulled the paint off.

bellyboy wrote:what about some detailing ?

I'll consider adding some of that, but I was basing it on the cartoon so I kept it simple. When I did this repaint I didn't know about drybrushing, dark lining or washes - I just had a steady hand!

yes im aware of the adhesive....its perfect for doing what your doing. I use it non-stop. only drawback is that its kinda pricey.
Grimpoo

Postby Solrac333 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:14 pm

Very nice and very clean. :APPLAUSE:
Bah weep granah weep nini bon!
Solrac333
Gestalt
News Credits: 1
Watch Solrac333 on YouTube
Buy from Solrac333 on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10+

Postby Stormrider » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:25 am

Weapon: Atom-Smasher Cannon
Nice job.
Stormrider
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 409

Return to Customizations

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSN [Bot]

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ZB 1:200 VIRGIN Dynamite Comics DEC230221 1ZB Parrillo 240206"
THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Last Ronin LOST DAY SPECIAL #1 Cvr D 1:25 IDW Comics FEB231513 1D Escorzas"
TMNT Last Ronin LO ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Last Ronin LOST YEARS #5 Cvr C IDW Comics 2023 APR231603 5C (CA) Rahzzah"
TMNT Last Ronin LO ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT ARMAGEDDON GAME #6 Cvr B IDW Comics 2023 DEC221441 6B (CA) Sanchez"
TMNT ARMAGEDDON GA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "JENNIFER BLOOD #3 Cvr L FOC TMNT Homage Dynamite Comics 2021 AUG218979 3L Haeser"
JENNIFER BLOOD #3 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR TMNT II #1 Pack Excl Deluxe Boom Studios Comics 2023 (CA) Del Mundo"
MMPR TMNT II #1 Pa ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INVINCIBLE RED SONJA #8 Cvr N FOC TMNT Dynamite Comics 2022 JAN228339 8N"
INVINCIBLE RED SON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT #147 Cvr E 1:50 RI IDW Comics 2024 OCT231358 147E Turtles Ongoing Eastman"
TMNT #147 Cvr E 1: ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv #11 Cvr B IDW Comics 2024 DEC231066 11B (CA) Ho"
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv #9 Cvr D 1:25 IDW Comics 2024 OCT231366 9D (CA) Levins"
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT X STRANGER THINGS #1 Cvr E 1:25 IDW Comics 2023 MAY231442 1E (CA) Pe"
TMNT X STRANGER TH ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR TMNT II #1 Cvr G Boom Studios Comics 2022 OCT220275 1G (CA) Bernardo"
MMPR TMNT II #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #4 Cvr B Dynamite Comics 2024 MAR240165 4B (CA) Parrillo (W) Shalvey"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #4 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT VS STREET FIGHTER #2 Cvr D 1:25 IDW Comics 2023 APR231628 2D (CA) Federici"
TMNT VS STREET FIG ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #350 - Oops! All Optimus
Twincast / Podcast #350:
"Oops! All Optimus"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, May 18th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Sky Lynx" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Furos and Hardhead" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Ultra Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Power Series Megatron" on AMAZON